Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rebecca (1940) - Alfred Hitchcock

This film directed by Alfred Hitchcock and starring Laurence Olivier with Joan Fontaine, was adapted from the Daphne du Maurier novel of the same name. The story begins in Monte Carlo where Max De Winter (Olivier) and a young woman (Fontaine) have a chance meeting as she is working for an older lady. Soon she learns that his previous wife died the year before. Fairly soon the two of them are attracted to each other and Max has plans of marriage and returning to his Manderley. However, back home the fairy tale is over and the new Mrs. De Winter is constantly tormented by the housekeeper Mrs. Danvers. Pretty soon Max himself seems to have changed. Confused Mrs. De Winter must learn what happened to Rebecca, the lady who was so enchanting. When she actually finds out the truth it is almost too much to bear. Like many Hitchcock films this one is certainly worth watching and it was actually his first American film. Olivier, Fontaine, George Sanders, and Judith Anderson all have very good performances.

                                                          4.5/5 Stars

4 comments :

  1. Did you read the book for summer reading? I haven't seen the movie but enjoyed the book minus the first chapter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually never read it! Since I saw the movie a didn't really want to read it right away since I felt like I knew what happened. Maybe when I forget the plot I will go back. Sorry the first chapter was so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been too long since I've seen this one. You've prompted me to see it again ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to do it. Hope you enjoy it again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...