Monday, July 28, 2014

Singin' in the Rain (1952) - Updated

I always seem to get goosebumps during Gene Kelly's Singin' in the Rain number, because each time I see and hear it, there is still a new magic to it every time. You see when I was young, before I knew all the classics, first and foremost I knew this gem of a film. It is such a wonderful buildup to that moment with such personal favorites as Make em' Laugh and Moses Supposes. Then you have the always popular Good Morning with not only Kelly but Donald O'Connor and Debbie Reynolds performing. Great stuff!

As the story goes the three friends save the failing "Dueling Cavalier" by losing the simple "talkie" gimmick and making it a musical by dubbing Lena Lamont. Cathy no longer is a bit player and she gains the acknowledgment that she deserves. Then Don Lockwood gets the girl who burst out of a cake. Cosmo Brown is along for the ride staying with Don through thick and through thin, even calling him a cab when necessary. He's a true friend in a million.

Although Kelly had a career with other high points (arguably never as high as this one), I am always slightly saddened that O'Connor and Reynolds never reached another peak like this ever again in their careers. They were both great so we must simply cherish this film for what it is.

Even to this day the film holds up and that is a tribute to the writing of Betty Comden and Adoph Green highlighting the infant Hollywood and the advent of talkies. The only film with a similar dissection of Hollywood's Golden Age is another 50s classic is Sunset Boulevard. The big difference is Wilder's film is chock full of drama and darkness. Singin' in the Rain will always and forever be a light, fun musical with a lot of laughs.  It is constantly quotable whether it is "dignity, always dignity" or "I can't stand it!" Jean Hagen is always the butt of everyone's jokes, but she is indeed very funny with the most annoying voice in the history of cinema (She can't act, she can't sing, she can't dance. Triple threat). You also have other fine performers like Millard Mitchell as studio head R.F. and then appearances by Cyd Charisse and Rita Moreno who made a name for themselves as dancers. Is is just me or does Donald O'Connor remind others of Danny Kaye? He not only cracks the jokes, but he is a wonderful all around performer. Although O'Connor was probably a better dancer.

All in all this is a timeless classic and it will undoubtedly keep that title for who knows how long. I know I will be coming back to it again and again. Now I hope it starts pouring buckets so I can go outside and stomp around in the puddles. I will let you know if I come down with pneumonia.

5/5 Stars

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...