Saturday, October 3, 2015

My Favorite Wife (1940)

This is a film that I arrived at by a rather roundabout route indeed. Let me explain. I genuinely loved Cary Grant and Irene Dunne's chemistry in The Awful Truth, but I wanted to watch My Favorite Wife before moving onto their final film together Penny Serenade. Time passed and I found two other films. First, Something's Got to Give which was Marilyn Monroe's final project that remained unfinished after her death. Only about 30 minutes was completed and it was scrapped and was reincarnated a year later as a Doris Day vehicle co-starring James Garner. Being a fan of Day and especially of the late-great Garner, I had to indulge in this romantic comedy.

All that is to say that the Monroe film and ultimately the Doris Day film were both based off this same basic plot. A man just recently gets married only to learn that his wife who has been missing for seven year is alive. He must figure out how to break it to his new wife, only to learn that she was shipwrecked on a tropical island with a strapping young man. After three renditions it certainly feels over-trod, but the beauty of each adaptation is that they only have this basic framework intact. A lot of the real juicy bits are filled out by the cast. Of course your stars change. Because James Garner is no Dean Martin is no Cary Grant. And the same goes for Monroe, Day, and Dunne. However, the same goes for the crotchety judge, the desk clerk at the hotel, the bookish shoe salesman who takes part in a deception, or even the friendly neighborhood insurance salesman.

It becomes a fun game of compare and contrast, but these different performances also free you up to watch these films on their own merit and enjoy that three times over. I have found myself to often be a proponent of characters over plot and this is another case of that.

Grant and Dunne are a lot of fun together once more even if I have seen these predicaments before, because Day and Garner are great to watch, but for different reasons. And of course all the locales and fashion trends changed a lot in two decades. Also, I will not pass judgment on who my favorite wife was out of the three and truth be told I saw them out of order (I usually pick the original). In this rendition the judge played by Granville Bates was a real scene stealer so I was sorry to discover he passed away the same year and had very few other roles. My only question is would this film have been propelled to greater status if Leo McCarey and be able to direct it? Also, I am nwo excited I finally feel clear to watch Penny Serenade and I might just have to go back and revisit The Awful Truth, because it has been a while.

3.5/5 Stars

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...