Friday, October 24, 2014

Star Wars (1977) - Updated

Star Wars has such a giant mythology and full blown culture surrounding it that it makes it impossible to separate the entire galaxy from the film franchise. It is so much more than just a movie with a plot and some characters going on an adventure. Sure, George Lucas let his boyhood imagination run wild taking pages out of numerous playbooks from John Ford's westerns, Kurosawa's samurai and the serialized sci-fi adventures of Buck Rogers.

However, when I look at this classic that I grew up with for so many years now, it is nearly impossible to shed the role of a pure fan and take on the role of a film critic. One prime example would be Sir Alec Guinness. All my knowledge of film history tells me he is one of the greatest English actors of all time and for good reason. However, there is also this innate conflict that says he's Obi Wan Kenobi since that's what I knew him for originally. That's what I identify him with and I probably always will. Because as I said before Star Wars: A New Hope (As it was later titled) means so much to so many people like me on a personal level.

But let me hold off on that for a moment and focus on Star Wars the film. First, and foremost you would be hard pressed to find a more colorful array of characters. C3PO and R2D2 are the films jesters and the story is told from point of view to begin with. You have the hapless farm boy, the wise old man, a spunky princess a dashing tough guy and his ever faithful fuzzy sidekick. Not to mention the greatest, most imposing villain every developed for the silver screen. And it took some developing with three different actors, a mask, a cape and SCUBA sounds all joined to create his persona.

That aside the world Lucas created is so astounding and inventive that it has become second nature to true Star War fans. Jawas on Tatooine, the Cantina in Mos Eisely and Storm Troopers on the Death Star are simply a no brainer. They are part of our lexicon just as many of these quotes easily role off our tongue. "May the force be with you," "I've got a bad feeling about this," "Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, your my only hope." You get the idea.

Then, it goes without saying that John Williams propelled this film from being good to great. Because without his iconic scoring Star Wars is just not the same. It lacks the same energy and epic vibrancy that pulses through every scene. One prime example is the final scene in the Throne Room on Yavin 4. That could have been the longest most awkward award ceremony in history.  When you think about it no one is talking, they just stair at each other as the medals get bestowed. But with Williams score it develops a grand crescendo that caps the film on the highest notes as the credits role.

I am also convinced that Ben Burtt is a genius, because he breathed still more life into the Star Wars world through his sound design. He gave us blaster noises, RD-D2's "voice," Chewie's distinctive growls and of course the hum of lightsabers and Darth Vader's iconic breathing. A personal favorite of mine is the ever present Wilhelm Scream, but I digress.

Thus, what we witnessed the first time we saw Star Wars (followed by countless more times) was not just a film, but a revolution and I'm not just talking about the rebel alliance blowing up the Death Star.

As I suggested before Star Wars is so affecting because it is not simply a movie we watch. In many respects it brings up flash bulb memories in our lives. I remember birthday parties, childhood afternoons playing Legos or being a Jedi with my very own lightsaber. Star Wars infected my entire adolescence and so when I watch this film it causes all the many great memories to flood back.

It is a joy to watch it again because I almost feel like a kid once more, experiencing the same excitement all over again as if it's the first time around. My taste in films may continue to mature and evolve, but I dearly hope I never lose my affinity for Star Wars. In many it would be like losing some of my memories and even a little bit of my humanity.

Not to worry though, because based on this most recent viewing I will not be dismissing Star Wars any time soon. As some wise man once  said, "absence makes the heart grow fonder." I forgot how much I missed "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away." It was great seeing an old friend.

5/5 Stars

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...